Saturday, March 26, 2011

Kindergarten....and so it begins!

On Thursday Jack and I attended his Kindergarten orientation. Jamie and Dylan were sick so they stayed home. We all met in the media center (or as we used to call it, the library) It started with the principal showing us a video called A Day in the Life of Your Kindergartener. Jack sat intently watching the video as I held back tears. After the video they introduced us to the Kindergarten teachers. All of them sweet as you would want a teacher to be. Then they took the kids to the classroom and the parents stayed back. Jack jumped out of his seat and happily went on his way. I held back tears again. Jack has been at KinderCare since he was 8 weeks old so it is not like this was the first time I was letting him go on his own, but for some reason watching him walk away knowing that he did not need me was very emotional. Even as I type I am tearing up…. What is my problem!

After the kids left they talked to the parents about details of enrollment, PTO, and things of that nature. I also found out that Jamie and I get to attend Jack’s first day of school in September. I am sure this is more for the parents than it is for the students!

When the presentations ended we went to pick up our soon to be Kindergartners in the classroom. I walked into the room and heard “MOMMY!” Music to my ears. I walked over to the table where Jack sat coloring and he told me all about the fun he had the past 45 minutes. I asked him if he enjoyed it and if he thought the room was cool and we walked around looking at all the different things in the room.

We were then approached by one of the teachers who just happened to be my niece’s teacher and she asked if we were related. My niece had told her to look for Jack that night. So cute! I talked to her for about 10 minutes. She asked me if this was my first Kindergartner and I responded “yes” and again here come the tears. She told me this is such a special and often emotional time in our lives. I agreed.

The first five years of Jack’s life have gone by so fast and I always hear that once they start school it goes by even faster. But we are excited to move on to the next chapter with him. It will be fun to see him grow and become even more independent. I will just make sure that I hold him a little tighter this summer and soak up all the time with him knowing that once September comes things are likely to change.

No comments:

Post a Comment