This summer Jack started Kidstop which is our school district childcare program. We went back and forth on whether or not to do it for many reasons. One of them was the fact that Jack's "buddies" from KinderCare were going to be staying at KinderCare for the summer. So naturally Jack was very sad about that. We actually got an email from KinderCare on his last day it brought tears to my eyes. Here is the email below
Hi Deanna! I just wanted to check in with you to let you know what is going on here. Jack had a really good morning and really enjoyed our visit from RADD zoo, but is having a hard time since after lunch. He just started crying out of no where and when asked why he said that he didn't want to leave his old school. We did talk with him and explained that he can come back and visit us all the time and he can still see his friends when he comes with Dylan. He is doing better now, but still seems distracted and a little sad. He about had all of us crying too:) I just want you to know that if you ever change your mind or if there is anything we can do for you guys please let us know. We all care so much for Jack and understand your need to move on, but we will miss him greatly!
Jack has been at KinderCare since we was eight weeks old. The teachers there have helped and watch him grow for five years so it was a very sad day for all.
After discussing it over the weekend Jamie, Jack and I all decided that Kidstop would be the best idea. We sold him on the fact that his cousins Taylor and Mya would be there, that he would get to go on field trips, and that he would hopefully meet some new buddies that he would possibly go to Kindergarten with in the fall.
On the first day I followed my sister in law Kelly there so I could have some moral support :) Jack got out of the car with his little Lightening McQueen lunch pack and walked in like a big boy. I could tell he was nervous, but trying to cover it up. I on the other hand was trying to keep it together and not break down sobbing right there! We walked in and to our surprise a little girl from KinderCare was sitting there. I think I was more excited than Jack was to see her! I knew with her being there, it would not feel so foreign to him. We walked around the class room, met his teacher checked out his locker (which by the way he is so proud of!) and then I was off.
When I picked him up in the afternoon he was going a million miles a minute telling me about his day. I think the highlight for him was eating in the cafeteria and getting to pick out his own breakfast! He told me about the friends he had made and all the activities he did for the day.
We are now into our third week and he is still enjoying it. They have been on two field trips, one to Chutes and Ladders and yesterday was Brunswick Zone and there are many more to come! I am glad that we all made the decision to start Kidstop in the summer. I think it will make transitioning to Kindergarten much easier in the fall!
No comments:
Post a Comment