In July of 2008, Jamie and I decided we wanted to give Jack a baby brother or sister. So we started "trying". Month after month, nothing was happening. We were sad and confused. Our first son Jack was conceived while I was on birth control, so how was it we were not able to conceive when timing everything out perfectly? After a year of trying we decided to go see the doctor.Turns out I had some sort of Ph imbalance and it was preventing us from getting pregnant. After the problem was corrected we continued to try.
On September 1, 2009 we were packing up for a weekend up north. On a hunch, I bought a pregnancy test and took it quickly before we left. I was in the bathroom looking at the stick and all of a sudden the little line that never showed up month after month was finally there! I kept saying "oh my gosh, oh my gosh." I was shaking, I could not believe it! I went running out to the front yard with the stick to show Jamie! We were finally pregnant!
We went to the doctor a couple of weeks later and they gave us a due date of May 12, 2010.
My pregnancy was similar to Jack's in the beginning. No major complications. At 16 weeks, I had an ultrasound. Jamie and I had not yet decided if we were going to find out the sex of the baby. But I happen to look over at the right moment and said " is that a boy?" The ultrasound tech said, "I wouldn't paint the room blue yet, but I would be shocked if you come back next month and it isn't a boy!" The 20 week appointment confirmed what we already knew, we were having another baby boy!
On March 20, 2010 at 32 weeks I lost my plug. Dr. told me it was nothing to worry about and checked me for pre-term labor but the test came back negative. So she put me on bed rest at home and wanted me to follow up at the end of the week.
On March 26. 2010 I woke up having contractions. I got in the shower and afterwards told Jamie we should probably go to the hospital. It was early in the morning so we packed up, grabbed Jack and called my parents to meet us at the hospital. While there they determined I was 3 cm, and in pre term labor. They admitted me to the hospital on bed rest.
On March 31, 2010 I woke up from having dreams of contractions, the nurse came in and confirmed the contractions were getting stronger and closer together. They had decided today was the day. Jamie arrived at the hospital around 9:00 a.m. and it was a wait and see game. I was only dilated to 6 cm and stayed there for a long time. This labor was much different from Jack's. This one was painful. Every contraction hurt. At 8:00 p.m. I was 8cm and they broke my water. Within a couple of minutes I was10 cm! It was go time again. I pushed and pushed, I was in so much pain. Again, I kept saying "this is not like Jack" but with 15 minutes of pushing at 8:36 p.m, he was here! Dylan Dean Henry was born prematurely at 34 weeks. He was 5 lbs 9 oz. A pretty good size for a preemie.
Dylan spent 3 weeks in the NICU. Because he was born so early he needed extra time to grow and learn how to do basic things like eat and maintain body temperature. Ironically, the same nurse that promised to watch over Jack while he was in the NICU was also Dylan's nurse. Her name was DeDe and I recognized her right away. She went on to tell us she has been thinking about us for 4 years! Apparently the night Jack had his seizure, she wanted to come wake us up but the nurse in charge said not to. DeDe said she has felt bad ever since that night. And because of us she will now do what is best for the patient even if she is told differently. On April 22, 2010 Jamie, Jack and I went to go pick up our new baby! We were now a happy little family of 4! And he completes our March Madness. Married, Jack, House, Dylan all in the month of March!
No comments:
Post a Comment