Last night we said goodbye to our dear Beta Fish Mookey. Jamie and I debated on whether or not we would turn his passing into a life lesson for Jack. He is after all 4 years old and would notice Mookey was gone as he resided on his dresser.
So in the most simple way we explained to Jack that Mookey was no longer with us and he had gone to Heaven. Now before one person says "but pets don't go to heaven" I will stop you right there. Jack has a concept of what happens when our bodies die and for the purpose of keeping things simple we explained it the same way.
At first he asked a lot of questions, and then as the night went on he was a little more quiet than normal. We explained to him it was OK to be sad and it was even OK to cry. And so he did. He cried out for Mookey, and said he missed him and wanted him back. My heart just broke. You want to protect your children from any pain, even if it is just a loss of a fish.
Jack has now accepted Mookey's passing and things are back to "normal" He will occasionally go to his bedroom and look up at the dresser and I only hope he looks up with great memories of the little fishy who would wag his tail when we entered the room. R.I.P Mookey

No comments:
Post a Comment